Legal considerations to have in mind when buying or selling your property in Bourne
Globe with a arrow.

quick links

Legal considerations to have in mind when buying or selling your property in Bourne

Buying and selling your property can be problematic and time-consuming. Even before making a "big decision" about which property to buy, which mortgage to choose, or which agent to choose for selling your home, there are other important decisions you have to make regarding the law. Whether you rent, buy, or sell a house, real estate agents should not mislead you and must use fair terms and conditions consistent with federal, state, and territory law. By doing research, you are more likely to make the right decisions and avoid costly mistakes. These are some key steps you should do if you are going to buy or sell your property in Australia. Read on!

Proof of your identity

If you live in Australia, and you have decided to sell or buy a home, you must provide your lawyer with some form of ID to show that you are the one who you say you are. This is usually proof of your current address, current electricity bill, and photo ID (passport, driver's license, etc.). Other documents may be accepted, so please check with your lawyer or carrier in advance.

This ID is required to comply with anti-money laundering laws. Lawyers and realtors, all work under these rules and state that they must retain evidence for five years. The document will be destroyed after this time, so you don't have to worry about the data remaining in the file forever.


An adjustment is an activity that takes place immediately before the settlement of an ownership transfer transaction. Ownership of property costs different taxes and rates, and some rental properties have regular income such as rent. The recurring costs of land and settlement rate adjustments are apportioned between the buyer and the seller for almost all contracts for buying and selling land. Expenses and income are recurring and are usually associated with decidable periods such as annual, quarterly, and monthly. Payments can be made at any time during this period, and expenses or income can be prepaid or unpaid at the time of payment. For fairness to the parties, they are adjusted at the time of settlement and neither party bears the costs or profits of the costs or income for the period in which neither party was the owner of the asset.

The buyer's conveyancer adjusts charges and taxes, such as municipal charges and water charges. The seller is responsible for paying fees and taxes up to the settlement date. The buyer is responsible for paying interest and taxes from the day after settlement. When the seller pays the fees and taxes, they receive credit for the day they no longer own the property.

Write an agency contract

An agency contract is a contract between you and your real estate agent. It covers whether they have the exclusive right to sell your property and during that period additional costs, such as their fees, marketing (online advertising and billboards), and administration, are included.

There are some tips when you are looking for a real estate agent. You must be sure that he has a license, and you should check it with your local state or territory consumer protection agency. You can propose a contract change as part of the negotiation process before signing, and you must read it carefully. If you have any questions about the terms and conditions information, consider seeking legal advice.

The vendor's statement and contract of sale

In some Australian states, the vendor's statement (also known as Section 32) is used. This includes whether the property has a mortgage, an agreement that limits what the owner can do with it, the easement that the land receives (drainage, right of way, transmission lines, etc.), the zoning council, and related legal documents.

You will probably need to hire a real estate law expert or a lawyer to make a vendor's statement. You also need to create a contract of sale, and this should include the ownership document, drainage plan, and current plan certificate from the local council. Inclusions and exclusions must also be outlined in these documents. Standard items included in real estate sales include solid flooring, lighting fixtures, window coverings, and other fixtures and accessories.

Buying and selling a property requires a lot of time and commitment. In addition to the various processes involved in selling a property, you need to deal with all parties. The process of making a purchase is virtually the same, so finding your dream home quickly and easily can be done through a trusted estate agent, thus, make yourself familiar with the law connected to your specific city in Australia.

  1. Accessibilty
  2. Customise
  3. Privacy Policy
  4. Sitemap